DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moutain Biking...

Posted by Aroncb - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Finaly got my mountain bike form the Uk.  So time to hit some trails - starting in the gulf de saint tropez out behind St Maxine....

I already loved the region - now I can get properly into the hills and mountains its incredible.   I was out today - There are some amazing views out there of the fire ravaged hills - Looks like the second coming has hit us already. :-)

- just fell more in love with the region...

Anyway 2 of us going for a blaze tomorrow morning - trying to get up before dawn to see sun rise behind Saint Trop. from the hills behind st maxine - So if anyone interested in an early tomorrow rise give me a shout...? 049 456 4227 or email me.

Just to check its not a serious offense to use these fire trails is it? 

Aron

Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by brendan oshannassy - 14 years ago

I logged in to write much the same as you have tony.  I ride a bit around here (mainly Nice and hills above) but am looking for some people to ride with - intermediate to advanced.  I am no star but I like to ride with people that are fit enough to do good trails.

I don't check the net to much so if you are keen to organise anything please give me a call on 0603 701 879.  I am happy to drive to some new areas on the promise of good trails.

Cheers

Brendan

Sorry no image available
Posted by SteveP-192484 - 14 years ago

TonyP,  

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I also live in Cannes and usually go biking in the Esterel. I have also found some good rides on the Plateau de Caussols above Grasse/Gourdon. Both areas have always seemed pretty mud-free to me although completely different in character.

Let me know if you are interested in a ride sometime – it would have to be at the weekend at this time of year.

Steve

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Generally on the Esterel between Cannes, Frejus and the Lac St Cassien.

Any trouble with mud in your area?  On Sunday I ended up in a patch of sticky red mud, that stuck to the tyres, then the frame, then the drive, then the chain, then the derailleur...

I swear this is true.. when everything had jammed and I had to get off, this mud started crawling up my legs!  Evil stuff.

I was wondering whether spraying WD-40 on the tyres would help.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aroncb - 14 years ago

Tigger,

Is your bike down here yet.  Found some neat trails over near plan de la tour that I am keen to get onto. 

TonyP, alas I do not have transport for my bike at the moment.  Though would be good to hook up and do some trails.  Where are you normally riding, around Cannes?

A

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Tigger,

You posted a message a while back about looking for mountain biking partners. I have just sort of semi-moved to Cannes and I am looking for MTB partners too. I usually do between 20 and 30km mostly on fire tracks.

Drop a line if you are interested.

Not sure from your login whether you are a guy or a girl, but I am not a single looking for a mate. Just looking for friends to share a ride and talk about gear ratios with!

Regards,

Tony

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tigger-191229 - 14 years ago

Sounds cool. I'll drop you a mail as soon as my bike gets here. Should be by the end of the month really.

Sorry no image available

Hi Tigger,

Yep still here but not been out on the bike.  Too busy working for last few weeks.  There are fantstic rides all over the place.  The fire trails are all interlinked.  Just make sure you wear bright clothes and make lots of noise so you don't get shot by over zealous hunters.  

We should meet up at maybe la mole and head for some rides.  I haven`t been out that way but it looks fantasticon the map.  Although you do have that bloody great big hill behind you.

Oh and avoid roads at all cost if you can.  I have seen 2 bikers been peeled from the pavement in the last six months.  Pavements and trails only for me. 

A

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tigger-191229 - 14 years ago

Are you still in the area. Do you live there? I just moved to Le Lavandou - not far up the road and still in the Golfe de Saint Tropez. Haven't got my bike over yet, but its good to know there are some decent rides around here. What's it like?

Sorry no image available

Damn - THere i go blazing people (in fun) for spelling and grammar.  And lo.  I spell mountain wrong in title - Typo before I get flamed.....