DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Pilot book in English for Porquerolles

Posted by nice cuppa tee - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Does anybody know where I can buy a pilot book for the Porquerolles in English? Alternatively (and better) would anybody in the Napoule area be kind enough to lend me one? It would just be for a week while non-french-speaking friends borrow my boat. A free beer in O'Sullivans for anybody who can help!

Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 13 years ago

I bet you've never walked up naked with the cook from the beach landing to the nudist shop for bread for the punters on the Isle de Levant !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by nice cuppa tee - 13 years ago

Thanks StG,I know the area like the back of my hand, as it is best place for sailing in Western Med, and largely free of motorboats too! But my friends have never been there before and a French pilot book will be a battle (and as it is my boat I'd like them to be informed!). I will look at the "Bloc". Maybe it will be the best solution.

Sorry no image available

Yes - as there are prohibited anchorages dotted all round the Porquerolles, which are clearly marked on their plans. Have a look at a copy in the Shipchandler - if it doesn't match what you were hoping for, don't buy it - anyway at this time of year with all the French on holiday, it shouldn't be too difficult to suss out where you can anchor for the night or not. Watch out for strong Mistral winds - off Port Prince with the weed , the anchor is like a toboggan and  if strong SE head immediately to the beach anchorage off Fort Becançon on the mainland. I dont know where you want to go so can't really advise !

Good luck

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by nice cuppa tee - 13 years ago

Does the Bloc Marine contain info on anchorages now? Last time I bought one (2000 I think) it was just sketches of marinas and adverts.

Sorry no image available

I find the French 'Bloc marine' ( Votre Livre de Bord) Almanac & Cruising Guide better and its translated into English as well.All the usual Shipchandlers.

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by fill-187617 - 13 years ago

The Imray 'Meditererranean France & Corsica Pilot' by Rod Heikell is good. A lot of the chandeleries stock it or Riviera Charts in Antibes.fill