DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Rugby Union

Posted by thurley - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by KeithM-190565 - 14 years ago

Hi,

Welcome to the Riviera!

The rugby is not great here - you need to go to the South west to find the dedicated clubs.

Many moons ago I came down to play for Nice on a semi professional basis. We went as far as a national runners up title againt Beziers (in 82 I think.)

Since then the club has disappeared from the scene due to mismanagement and local government corruption.

I'd be interested if you wanted to set up an ex- pats veterans club.

The nearest thing you'll get to the atmosphere of a Rugby club here is the Hash House Harriers who describe themselves as drinkers with a running problem!

If you want to meet up for a beer or see some world cup matches together, let me know.

Keith Meredith

Sorry no image available
Posted by pisceskev - 14 years ago

Well, if like me you didn't get the link to work you're probably none the wiser. Antibes/JLP have a pretty decent club side last time I looked (4yrs ago), and at the time had a coach who was an ex-london irish coach. Not too many expats in the team, at the time only about 3 of us. Mandelieu seem to have more expats in theres, usually bump into a few in Morrisons in Cannes.

Good luck, hope you find the rugby more interesting than I did.

Sorry no image available
Posted by thurley - 14 years ago

I should re-register as "disappointed" of Taunton/Antibes! thought there would be more ex-pats interested in rugby, but assume that the sun, sea, etc have removed the spirit of adventure from your souls!

I am looking to become involved/affiliated with one or more clubs in the area and look forward to some more help. I move in to the area on 1st September and look forward to getting some more help in locating clubs to investigate. My life has been rugby for the last few years and I want to find somewhere to help me get over the loss of club life in the UK.

Please help out an eccentric, motor biking, 50 year old fanatic!    

Sorry no image available
Posted by thurley - 14 years ago

Thanks for the info. Terry is male and a former hooker! My family is rugby mad. Son plays on wing for Taunton 1st 15. Daughter is scrum half for Taunton ladies which is managed by my wife. Until I decided to work in France I coached Taunton under 16's and the Ladies. All except my wife are qualified coaches and first aiders, so I might be useful to somebody!

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

yep - I'm the resident AI rugby hotline...

See here for some club details;

Not sure if Terry is male or female.  If you are female, try here ;

For expats - call Ben Stevens (number in the first link)