DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Victoria Golf Club

Posted by Crystal Balls-184435 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Crystal Balls-184435 - 15 years ago

Thanks to all.

The quality of the responses goes to show what thought has to be put into getting a decent round of golf down here!

I've looked at the regs website - looks ideal - anyone any comments?

Ta

CB

Sorry no image available
Posted by The_Other_Club - 15 years ago

Hello,

I see your point, although I should say St Philippe does organize competitions (maybe once a month). And on summer, they set up "soirées blanches" with fluorescent balls and lightened flags.

Go on your office du tourisme and ask for "les golfs du soleil" local map of golf courses.

So, you want the club atmosphere without forking over real money. Club competition is open prioritarily to... club members.

Two tips though. Check Villeneuve-Loubet golf club. 10 holes (11th being built, 18-hole in sight??), cheaper than an 18-hole of course, narrow fairways, but it's socially vibrant. Also check La Grande Bastide, in Opio. 18-hole with many mini-lakes. No membership. To keep this status, and the green fee low, some golfers set up an association to... buy it out from the Club Med  (which is selling it to Open Golf)!

Or... you could check the membership golf clubs. Some of them have "abonnement" (suscription), so they have a three-tier policy (#1 members #2 subscribers #3 day clients) and they give some privilege to suscribers for entering competition. I believe an example is Grasse (narrow fairways, good scenery, new practice).

Another idea is to join a golf club that is independent to a particular golf course (the Riviera Expatriates Golf Society). You play with your English-speaking buddies each month... on a different golf course each time. So you're not bored. (They were at Saint Philippe last time.)  http://www.regs-golf.com/

Another idea. Set up your own competition. Look at that: each month, you bring in your friends. Book at Saint-Endréol (Var), and you add 8€ to each green fees for the golf club to record your score in the Fédération Francaise de Golf data bank.

I hope it helps. I'm searching a job in the golf tourism area (in a golf club, or chauffeur-guide, or in golf news, etc.), so if you have any idea for me, let me know by e-mail.

Astala Vista Baby,

Chris.

The Other Club

Sorry no image available

Hi Chris,

I've been to the Golf St Philippe, and the practice facilities are good, but the course is very young and quite expensive for what it is - and the "club" atmosphere is missing. - I want to play at a golf club - not just on a nice course.

Miss those monthly medals.

CB

Sorry no image available
Posted by The_Other_Club - 15 years ago

Hello,

My name is Chris, I'm a French recreational golfer (high handicap, but I'm very well informed about the game and the FR's golf courses).

If what you're searching is a 9-hole with a beautiful moutain scenery, friendly chaps, and a great practice area, then look no further than the Saint-Philippe Golf Club in Sophia.

Just e-mail me, and if our calendar agrees, I may introduce you to the stuff.

Chris

The Other Club

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the info.

I have played Grande Bastide, St Donat, Royal Mougins and Cannes Mougins (and found the last 2 rediculously over-priced considering the poor condition of the courses.). - I am looking for a small friendly club where I can play a monthly medal - get my handicap down, and have decent greens is this the place?

CB

Sorry no image available
Posted by One-188381 - 15 years ago

Hi,

I live across the border.  Will be nice if we can arrange for a round in Cote D'zur on a weekend.

Do let me know if you guys are keen.

Ciao.

EW

Sorry no image available
Posted by haggis-180168 - 15 years ago

I've played there loads of times, and it's not too bad at all. Coming from the East of Scotland and having played St Andrews and Carnoustie many times, it's obviously a different league, but for what it was I thought it was OK. One reason I like it, is I work in Sophia, so I've often played 9 holes before getting into work. It's a relatively easy course with nothing too troublesome for a lower handicap golfer. I've been as low as 8, but now playing off around 14 or 16 as I don't play regularly like I used to as I spend all of my free time with the kids these days. The fairways had been struggling this summer, but seem to be getting better, and they certainly don't have the horrendous problems which OPIO Valbonne does with Sanglieres digging up the fairways. It's not a classic course in the UK sense, but for here, I thought it was a good little course with some variation on holes, nice scenery, and great access for me at work. I'll certainly play it many more times...Go and enjoy it...at least the weather is guaranteed to be better than Carnoustie :-)