DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Walking in Corsica

Posted by DaveL-185804 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

TI,

They were doing the GR20. They weren't complaining, and they found everyone welcoming, but afterwards they wished they had done it later in the season.  There was also quite a bit of snow still about, which made walking difficult.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by DaveL-185804 - 14 years ago

Thanks for all the replies and the information.

Treasure Island, many thank for your very useful information.

Regards

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by Treasure Island-191530 - 14 years ago

TonyP - sorry your brother had a bad time, it has been a beautiful day today here in Corsica, clear crisp blue skies and sunshine, and probably reaching a max of 18, which is quite typical at coast level at this time of year.  Of course it can be a lot cooler up in the mountains, and to be fair March isn't exactly peak season so I think it's wrong to expect everything to be up and running.  However I have always found people to be accommodating and friendly - perhaps you get what you give - I have certainly never heard the word 'miserable' before in connection with this island. 

DaveL - the most famous walk in Corsica is the GR20, which to do in its entirety can take up to a fortnight.  It starts in Calenzana (approx 15 km from the port of Calvi) and weaves it's way across the island to the SE. I've never done it but gather it is pretty hardcore, you can get info on the various auberges and gites d'etapes from the tourist offices.  Also, if you are looking to be based in one place for example, but do different walks each day, then Calvi is a good base as you can do the beginning of the GR20, and also walks such as that up to the 'lost' village of Occi, and along to the lighthouse at Revellata, and many others. It's easy to pick up maps and walking guide books here.

Hope this helps!

TI.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

My brother and his wife went to Corsica for a walking holiday in March, but found it all cold and miserable.  On top of that, the hotels and hostels hadnt wound up for the season and only had lasagnaTony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Marco Nowinski - 14 years ago
Sorry no image available
Posted by Marco Nowinski - 14 years ago
Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul Carmel-190537 - 14 years ago

A good start that will give you an insight to walking here is the Lonley Planet Guide to Corse. As I said its a start but it does cover all levels.

Cheers

PC