DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Wanted: tips on skiing weekend accomodation for 4

Posted by RJH-187583 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Taniwha - 15 years ago

Limone is a bit better than Auron for après-ski (or should I say dopo-schiare?). There is a nice little town centre which is not just a giant car park like Auron, and some nice little restaurants. On the slopes it is about the same as Auron.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

We went to Limone once,  it wasn't particularly pleasant but I attribute that more to a bad choice of hotel and unfortunate weather which prevented us from doing much skiing, meaning we had to spend more time in the hotel,  than to any deficiency of the resort.

I also seem to recall that the ski possibilities would be a bit limited for an advanced skier (which I am not!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by snowqueen-191196 - 15 years ago

Mike,

haven't tried the resort myself but hear good things about limone, which just over the border and probably about the same distance than it is to drive to Auron. It obviously no match for the tyrolean best as it small but it is close-by and offers Italian cuisine. As you may guess, I am keen skier having been brought up near ski slopes so more interested in skiing possibilities for me and the kids than the resort atmosphere!

Sorry no image available

Taniwha

I've made the same observation myself (it goes down like a lead balloon with most people), as I have a huge respect and liking for the German way of doing things.

The French resorts really are just too awful , we once went to Les Deux Alpes and it reminded me of a Bulgarian industrial suburb, with all the nastinesses you mentioned and more.

Totally agree with you, and the person who sent me a private email,  about taking a few hours extra driving time and spending a week or so in a proper resort in Austria, Switzerland, or Adige/Italian Tirol.  I did just wonder if there were any pleasant resorts in France but judging by the comments here, it seems not.  The main reason that I wondered is that my partner does not ski,  whilst our son and I would wish to do so.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Taniwha - 15 years ago

I agree with you, MikeP, skiing in France is nothing like the pleasurable experience of the Eastern Alps. The resorts down here are handy for a day-ski, but I wouldn't want to spend a week at one. Even the French resorts in the high Alps are pretty ghastly. Stopping for lunch in Chamonix is like a stop in Forton motorway services - complete with plastic trays, polistyrene cups, and long queues. Add to that the ESF mafia pushing in at the front of the queues and chasing "cowboy" instructors (like me!)...

If I am going for a week skiing I would always go to Austria, the Italian Tyrol (just like Austria) or southern Germany. Lovely charming villages, no ski-school mafia, super little restaurants on the ski-slopes, excellent food served by bonny frauleins in tradtional dress - great experience.

Sometimes I say to my good French friends (and they have to be good ones!) that it's a shame the Germans left the Riviera after the war....

Sorry no image available

I've been to mining towns with more character than Isola 2000!  Sadly most of the French resorts are purpose built for skiing and have little else to offer. 

Does anyone know of any that offer something for the non skiers - I'm talking about villages like the Swiss and Austrian ones which are 'gemuetlich' and have lovely hotels, cafes, atmosphere, and charm and are picture postcard pretty.

Sorry no image available
Posted by azur-191694 - 15 years ago

I could repeat that again but I wont!

Sorry no image available

I was told yesterday there was no snow left at Valberg and Auron is poor.

Sorry no image available

I was told yesterday there was no snow left at Valberg and Auron is poor.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RJH-187583 - 15 years ago

Erm...okay.

Is that you Tim?