DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Women Touch Rugby Club

Posted by francesca-184716 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

Hi,

anybody knows of a women touch rugby team around Nice?

Francesca

Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

yep Francesca - I know what touch rugby is as I've taught it to kids and also played it with the usual expat "veterans" in the usual foreign lands.

I was just saying that I've never encountered it in France, certainly not for women.

However, I thought "why not?" so I called my club friends and they told me that rugby is played by women here but in very selective clubs (which is why yours truly hasn't seen it J).  They explained that it is full contact rugby played in competition but there is sometimes friendly touch rugby depending on age and physical condition.  Here are 3 clubs with womens' teams;

Nice UC (University + associates) (04.93.21.62.63
La Vallette (near Toulon I think)
(04.94.27.57.03
Six-Fours (aka "RC WestVar")
(06.63.52.89.52

Only 1 club to our knowledge is in les Alpes Maritimes with a flavour of student participation.  The other 2 are in the Var.  Seeing as you said you are a student over in another thread, you'd probably find Nice UC your best bet.  Also, now that I think of it, a lot of teams (men included) use touch rugby as a low-risk training technique for all the skills that don't need tackling/mauling/rucking so maybe even if you didn't play contact in competition, they'd be happy to have you participate in touch training sessions.

Here is the number for the PACA committee representative of the FFR who also represents the FFRF (last "F" stands for "Feminin").  They'll provide you with plenty of advice on clubs, player insurance, fixtures, etc.  Being rugby folk, they will be delighted to try to speak English to you if your French isn't great. 

(04.94.41.17.40

Sorry no image available
Posted by francesca-184716 - 15 years ago

Hi,

touch rugby is very common in the "southern emisphere". In Australia and New Zealand you have plenty of teams and competitons of all levels, ages and sex...and you have also a world championship...not sure what all the partecipant countries are though!

Cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

Hi Francesca,

If you search these forums with the keyword "rugby" you will see that I have answered most queries that have come up on the subject as I lnow the local rugby scene fairly well.

I must admit your request has me stumped.  I've never heard of this anywhere in France.  I've seen girls playing mixed with boys till age 11 or 12 but nothing at all for girls/women beyond that age.

Is this something that you have seen elsewhere in France or perhaps another country?